Now, if you haven’t already noticed, it’s been rather warm lately, so if the thought of having anything on your face apart from some ice-cold water sounds like hell, fear not, as I have some amazing make-up tips that will leave you looking your very best without resembling a melting waxwork.
Don’t worry, I’m not talking anything too energetic or time consuming and you are in safe (ish) hands as fact of the day, I’m a qualified make-up artist (I know, I’m as surprised as you that I can do more than one thing at a time). So here are seven simple tips to help you look effortlessly fresh, polished and ready for summer - especially now the world is re-opening!
1. Prevent and protect! Your skin is your biggest investment, it’s your canvas, so a good skin care routine is EVERYTHING. Please don’t use wipes to take the day off, they don’t remove everything and are often full of harsh chemicals that dry the skin out. I recommend Liz Earl cleanse and polish to cleanse and a moisturiser with a SPF of 30 or above, like Oil of Olay Total Effects 7 and The Body Shop’s Drops of Youth undereye cream for fresh eyes!
2. Get skin like a BB. I couldn’t live without my BB cream. It’s got it all; it moisturises, covers and makes my pores look smaller – it also doesn’t feel too heavy like a foundation. My fave is L’Oreal Skin Paradise, it gives a nice natural looking finish and evens the skin out beautifully. Go a shade darker if you want to look a little less Casper the Ghost, I’ve gone for fair 03. Trust me a BB cream is the most important tool in your make-up kit.
3. Conceal and appeal. If you don’t have perfect skin and sleep is something of a memory, then I have a treat for you! Revlon do an awesome concealer that’s a total all-rounder, it’s called Photoready Candid and is the best concealer I’ve ever used. You don’t need much, and it stays put. It can be used under the eyes too – but use sparingly so as not to look caked.
4. Bronze don’t blush! Blusher is great in the winter to brighten up a dull and pale complexion, but summer is when bronzer should play a starring role in your make-up routine. Sweep it over the areas where you’d naturally catch the sun for an all-over glow and shimmer. Don’t forget your neck and décolletage. I love Bobbi Browns illuminating bronzing powder for a shimmering sun kissed glow. Or Benefit Hula bronzer if you want to look less shimmery and just focus on a tanned hue, it also doubles up as a great contour product.
5. Lip service. A pop of colour on the lips can really brighten your face. As a rule of thumb, fair skin suits pink and mauves and medium and darker skins look fantastic in coral and berry. If lip colour isn’t your bag, a lip plumping gloss will make your lips fuller and add some glamour to your day. Mac does mini lipsticks now which won’t break the bank, they have some great colours to suit all skin shades.
6. Brows baby! I know time is tight, but don’t forget your brows, they matter and frame your whole face. You don’t have to go mad with those huge insta caterpillar brows, just keep them tidy and defined. Start by brushing and sweeping with a good brow powder or pomade. Glossier Boy Brow is brilliant and can last throughout the hottest days. They also have a wide range of colours. Top tip! Don’t go too dark, it’s always better to build colour.
7. Lash out! Now I have to say there’s a lot to be said for getting your browns and lashes tinted by a professional, it saves SO much time long term and gives you the chance for self-care, but if you want to use mascara then waterproof isn’t necessarily always your friend. I find waterproof mascaras can damage lashes by being difficult to take off, you can also end up looking a bit spidery if you reapply halfway through the day. Try a mascara with a big fluffy, fibrous brush like Max Factor Divine Lashes or Maybelline’s The Falsies Lash Lift mascara.
I hope these tips help you achieve a feel-good summer, if nothing else you can have some fun trying!
Blogger and Magical Mummy